Employees impacted: ~800 (including contractors)
Length of project: 18 months
Client contact: HRMs
A large, multinational oil and gas company decided to shut down one of their Australian sites as a result of global economic changes and pressure from larger players in the industry. This resulted in job losses for approximately 400 staff and another 400 contractors. In order to manage the human implications of the closure, the organisation engaged the expertise of Trevor-Roberts. Career transition support was essential as many of the impacted individuals were long standing employees of the organisation and the emotional and financial impact of the closure was significant.
Trevor-Roberts were approached with 3 main objectives:
- Assist organisation to achieve closure of site operations in a planned, well managed process, within budgeted costs;
- Minimise employee career impacts with comprehensive career transition support. Minimise loss of morale, and adverse behaviours and incidents, (including workers compensation claims and union-led unrest).
- Maintain organisation’s strong reputation and employment brand across current and past employees, customers, suppliers, governments and the wider community.
Due to the size and nature of this project, Trevor-Roberts split the delivery support into three mains sections:
- Change Management & Project Planning
- Pre-Transition Training
- Career Transition Program Delivery
1. Change Management & Project Planning
- Planning day: Trevor-Roberts conducted planning sessions with HR team and leadership team to align objectives and build a roadmap for all that requirements to be addressed for successful delivery of this project.
- Overview of career transition program: We co-developed and delivered information sessions for all employees providing insight into the career transition program.
- Partner support: Trevor-Roberts developed and delivered workshops for partners of employees to assist them in understand the change and the potential impact on them and their partner.
2. Pre-Transition Training
- Trevor-Roberts ran workshops and individual sessions to prepare both managers and staff for the forthcoming changes:
- The Leading Through Change workshop assisted executives and middle to senior managers to understand their own response to change as well as the ability to effectively lead others through the change.
- The Change Agility and Resilience workshop assisted all employees to understand change, recognise their own responses to change plus build their personal resilience.
3. Career Transition Program Delivery
Due to the broad range of roles and levels impacted, we proposed specific career transition programs for each group of site employees.
Executives and senior managers
For executives, senior & middle managers, one-on-one coaching sessions with skilled, experienced coaches and extensive resources were provided through tailored programs. For executives and senior managers, programs were open ended, which meant we worked with each individual for as long as was necessary to move them into the next phase of their career.
Operational and award employees
For operational and award employees, Trevor-Roberts support included identifying preferred career directions, building and establishing strong networks, identifying what skills need to be developed and creating resilience for the future as well as the standard resume and interview skills support.
Employees at this level also had access to the following:
- On-site career centre: Operating on defined days between 7am and 7pm, employees were able to access workshops, information sessions, one-on-one career coaching sessions, on-line careers portal, jobs and information board, and workstations at the Career Centre.
- Career fair: Trevor-Roberts organised a one-day career fair where employer groups, agencies and other resourcing providers attended to meet with impacted individuals.
- Average participant rating out of 10: 8.3
- 93% would highly rate the effectiveness of their Trevor-Roberts Career Transition Program
- 96.5% would highly rate their experience with their Trevor-Roberts career coach
- Overall, the project delivered:
- 100+ Career Centre consultant-days on-site
- 100+ workshops and seminars delivered with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 by participants.
- Individual career transition programs for the majority of professionals and managers
- Careers Fair held over 2 days with approximately 30 major organisations represented
- Referrals to recruiters, potential employers, government and industry contacts, and EAP
- Project management and comprehensive monthly reporting
- At the end of the project, only 5% of program participants were still looking for new roles. The vast majority had been redeployed to new roles within the company, found new roles externally, retired, commenced further study or started their own business.
WHAT OUR CLIENT HAD TO SAY….
When the team from Trevor-Roberts came to present their proposal to us we were instantly impressed. The customised approach and willingness to adapt to our specific needs were incredibly important and this is exactly what Trevor-Roberts demonstrated. They listened to what we were asking for, took time to build an understanding of our business and used their previous experience to tailor the offer. Throughout the duration of the project we built a strong partnership based on open communication, this meant that when issues arose, which they always do on such large-scale projects, they were quickly and effectively dealt with. Most important to us was making sure our employees left our workplace feeling ready for what lay ahead. The feedback we received from our employees was very positive with many expressing gratitude for the support they were given and ‘Trevor-Roberts’ becoming a frequently used phrase around the place!
- Human Resources Manager
WHAT OUR PROGRAM PARTICIPANTS HAD TO SAY……
“Thank you for helping me transition. I’ve learned so much from you, and have been presented with many great opportunities”.
“The careers fair was really good and very helpful as I got my new role through it. The Trevor-Roberts service was very good too.”
“My Career Centre consultant went out of her way to meet with me as I work shifts. She helped me getting through aptitude tests, interview skills and mock assessments.”
“I am/was very happy with the help provided by Trevor-Roberts Consultants and would recommend them to all other companies. My post-[COMPANY NAME] journey is keeping me both happy and satisfied.”
“Thank you for all your efforts to help me understand the interview process. It took a while to sink in but when it did I grew with confidence and now I am helping others to get ready for their interviews. It feels good to help others’ (you must love your job), but it is such a relief having a known future."